Global Power BI User Group

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.

Free-to-use Power BI Tutorial Report

By Stephan de Jong posted Oct 10, 2018 11:41 AM

Hi fellow Power BI enthusiasts!

To properly set up the use of Power BI within your organization, it is usually necessary to give users some form of training. For users who only consume reports it is often sufficient to follow a short introductory training in which the possible interactions of a Power BI report are explained. One way of doing this is by using a step-by-step tutorial report within Power BI itself, that can also serve as a reference document.

thumbnail image
In the past few months I have already built such a Tutorial for some of my customers, which they are now using in their Power BI Apps. For those of you who are also interested in adding a Tutorial to their Power BI environment, I am now making a version generally available (both in Dutch and English). You can use it for free and no attribution is needed, but of course will always be appreciated!

You can find the report here:

Power BI Tutorial Report

You can directly embed the report, e.g. in the user portal of your organization, or add it to your Apps in Power BI Service.
To embed the report (English version) add this code to your website:
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMmZiYzIzZTktOTU3NC00ZjI3LWI3NTUtZGIyYTBkZGEzMWJiIiwidCI6IjkzMDdiY2I2LTA3NDAtNDdkMC05MmJjLTY0ZDUwMmE1YmI5MiIsImMiOjl9" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
And for the Dutch version:
<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMGIwNjc3ZTMtMmQ4Ni00YTVkLWJlNmItYjk5NTFmOTBhNWUxIiwidCI6IjkzMDdiY2I2LTA3NDAtNDdkMC05MmJjLTY0ZDUwMmE1YmI5MiIsImMiOjl9" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

You can also edit the report to match the corporate identity of your organization or make other changes. You are free to download the PBIX here:
Tutorial_-_EN.pbix

If you make use of the report, I would appreciate letting me know by adding a reaction to this post!

Good luck, with kind regards,

Stephan de Jong
Freelance Power BI Consultant
E: info@paintmynumbers.nl
thumbnail image

9 comments
127 views

Comments

Mar 01, 2019 11:04 AM

Thanks @Stephan de Jong
I truly like what you have created and hope to use it in training new consumers of my reports. I also like that it is interactive instead of just screen shots.
Thanks
Mitch​

Mar 01, 2019 09:20 AM

Thanks @Stephan de Jong!  That makes sense.  My initial thought would be that we would use this internally ​to both introduce users who will review dashboards/reports, but to also explain better how they work to those interested.  We have a lot of users though so adding them all to a workspace (in order to see all functionality) would be a bit of a pain.  I might consider saving your provided pbix and just remove the text about the ellipses, so that we can share it publicly.

Thank you again!

Feb 28, 2019 03:21 PM

Hi @Holly Kramer,

Good question! The reason for the missing functionalities is that this report is published as a free public report. This results in a limited version compared to publishing and sharing the report within your company's App workspace through Power BI Pro licensing.
I believe that this behaviour is similar to sharing a report outside your company's domain, where the report is not included in PowerBI.com, but is only accessible by opening the link that has been shared with you. Then the report functionalities are also limited.

I've actually built a newer version of this tutorial for my website, where I included the new filter experience... only to find out a few days later that the Filters bar is hidden in the free public experience ;)
If you are interested, you can find the newer version on my website www.powerbileren.nl (Dutch only at the moment, sorry for that...). Scroll down to the Trainingen part and you will find the "Gratis introductieles" link in yellow.

Regards, Stephan

Feb 28, 2019 11:51 AM

Thank you very much for this Stephen!

Feb 27, 2019 05:00 PM

Hi Stephen, this is such a great idea.  Thank you for sharing!

I had a question on Page 3, for steps 3-5 you reference the additional options under the ellipses.  However when I hover over the visuals, the ellipses do not appear.  I see them of course in my own reports, but curious how I can enable them for your visuals on Page 3?  Or why they are not showing in the first place.

Thank you!

Jan 10, 2019 04:54 AM

Dear Stephan, thank you so much for such a nice share. Wish you success in your consulting business.

Rgds..Aziz

Oct 24, 2018 11:49 AM

Hi Stephan, Yes! My context is a little different (higher education instead of sales) so I might use data that feels a little more familiar to my users. But I really like your use of bookmarks down the side that walks them through the different aspects they need to know. This solves a really critical issue that many organizations have and falls to analysts - training consumers.

Oct 24, 2018 05:30 AM

Hi @Liz Amador, thanks for liking my report and for your suggestion to improve it! I added the alt texts​. Please let me know if you have any other ideas to improve the accessibility, I have little experience on this topic... Are you going to use the report?

Oct 23, 2018 03:15 PM

This is really cool! I'm wondering if you can put alt text behind all the visuals so this is accessible to those using a screen reader?