Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 12, 2022 07:24 AM
    Hi everyone kindly reading this post,

I have shared a report (and the underlying datasets) with an external user (not in our company).  I've added them as a guest user to our Azure Active Directory, as per the process.  They can open the report OK, but the visuals (i.e. all the slicers on the filter pane) show errors - "Couldn't load data for this visual".

I'm assuming it is security/permissions related as the report works fine internally, when used by company employees, native to the domain.
    Can anyone help please? I'm a bit stumped, even after googling for hours.  I'm up against it as regards time as it's related to pending PR activity, so ANY help would be greatly received and hugely appreciated.
    TIA,
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Owens
    MIS Manager
    Batley

• 2.  RE: External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 13, 2022 01:58 AM
    Hi Jason,
      what is the datasource of the report? do you import data in PowerBI or are you connected to a SSAS model?

david Tanchon
    Bi Manager

• 3.  RE: External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 13, 2022 05:31 AM
    Hi David,
    The report is split from the datasets.  It uses a Power BI dataset, that is itself a composite of two other Power BI datasets, one of which is wholly DIrectQuery to SQL Server, and the other Import mode (also SQL Server).
    Thanks
    Jason

Jason Owens
    MIS Manager
    Batley

• 4.  RE: External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 13, 2022 01:41 PM
    Hi Jason,

Have he/she Pro License?

Regards,

Adam Artur Boltryk
    Business Analyst

• 5.  RE: External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 15, 2022 04:15 AM
    Hi Adam,

Yes, we have assigned them a Pro licence so that's all in place.  They are able to open a test report I created - a very simple one matrix/one slicer page, connected to one dataset, and that works fine for them.

Thanks
    Jason

Jason Owens
    MIS Manager
    Batley

• 6.  RE: External User can open report shared with them, but all visuals error "Couldn't load data"

Posted Jul 15, 2022 01:51 PM
    Hi Jason,
    so Next point to check is RLS.

Is it set and are they add to list of readers?

Regards,

Adam Artur Boltryk
    Business Analyst