Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  How to re-download desktop PBI

Posted Aug 26, 2022 05:59 PM
    A year or so ago I had downloaded Power BI on my previous machine. I'm trying to get it on my new computer but the process looks a little different. I don't recall being forced to use a business email address in order to get the download. I work at the same Federal agency I did when I got the original download and I'm certain I would not have used that address.

Any help would be great..

------------------------------
    Daniel Carlile
    Business Analyst

• 2.  RE: How to re-download desktop PBI

Posted Aug 27, 2022 05:08 PM
    @Daniel Carlile,
    I know exactly what you mean.  It is a hassle that you have to use a "work" email address; keep in mind, that to Microsoft a work email address is simply an email that is not one of the mass-domains like gmail.com.  Even Microsoft recognizes that this is an issue (although they are not changing the requirement), so they have provided an alternative approach to "sign up."  Here is the article I found that describes a way to do this: Signing up for Power BI with a new Microsoft 365 Trial.  Another approach would be to set up your own domain, with an email address, and use that - that's the approach I took.  It is quite annoying, and I don't understand Microsoft's approach, but, at least, there is a workaround.

Hope that helps.
    Kaz.​​

Kaz Shakir
    Sr. Program Manager, Asset Planning
    TN