Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Managing access based on role/responsibilities

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi, we have reports that we want to make available to all managers in our org. Is there a way to share access with a group email DL? Or, based on the employee role in the organization? Right now, we are managing manually every month. Wondering how you tackle this sort of administration at your companies.

------------------------------
    Caitlin Helm
    Webster

• 2.  RE: Managing access based on role/responsibilities

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Caitlin,

I would advice you look at the Power BI App solution. When you have your report in a workspace on PowerBI.com you can "create a app" from the reports in that workspace.
    A app can be shared with a Azure AD group (the managers) and/or individuals.
    Here is a (old) YouTube video regarding the group sharing: https://youtu.be/pij4gkznI2g?t=134

In case you want to limit what some people see in the same report, I believe what you are looking for is called Row Level Security (RLS).
    Here is a YouTube video regarding RLS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxU_FYSSnYU

Let me know if this helps you out
    Erik v H.

Erik van Hurck
    consultant / Content creator

• 3.  RE: Managing access based on role/responsibilities

Top Contributor
    Posted 10 days ago

If the whole report is intended to be managers only, then simply publishing the report to a workspace for managers only and setting the permissions on the workspace level. From there you can set the appropriate group email permissions. You don't have to do the secondary step of creating the app as Mark mentions. If you are using azure AD, your IT admin can work with you to set rules creating a dynamic group based on various rules. So if there is an employee with the word "manager" in their job title or "supervisor" etc.. they can be automatically included and removed from an AD group

Sam Duval
    Data Quality Analyst
    Element Financial
    Indianapolis IN