Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Report Server error connecting to Oracle data - failed to create windows identity for user

Bronze Contributor
    Posted 23 days ago
    Just published to the web service a paginated report that pulls data from an on premise Oracle database.  Works fine in the desktop Report Builder app.  However, on the web service it is coming up with the following error:

Could not connect to the data source.

A data source used by this report returned an error. If you continue to experience this error contact the report author or data source owner quoting: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError. Failed to create windows identity for user <pi>powerbi.admin@chrysaor.com</pi>.

Has anyone come across this before?  Any ideas how to resolve it?  I've seen somethings online about constrained delegation, but it is all over my head.

FYI, the gateway is working perfectly for Power BI dashboards, including to the Oracle database the paginated report uses.

------------------------------
    James Watts
    Business Intelligence Analyst

• 2.  RE: Report Server error connecting to Oracle data - failed to create windows identity for user

Bronze Contributor
    Posted 23 days ago
    I think I may have found the solution - disabling 'connect using Kerberos' for DirectQuery.  I assume Report Server uses direct queries, and as we are using a Basic authentication for the Oracle source, Kerberos is not needed.

James Watts

• 3.  RE: Report Server error connecting to Oracle data - failed to create windows identity for user

Bronze Contributor
    Posted 15 days ago
    Well, that fixed the test environment, but the prod environment (which is different for several good reasons), is now reporting the following when opening a report that contains an Oracle data source.

Unable to render paginated report
    Could not connect to the data source.

Any suggestions please ?

James Watts