Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Bronze Contributor
    Posted 22 days ago
    Hello Experts,

I created a Power BI app which house 3 published reports. I have 100s of users using this PBI app now.
    From visuals point of view, it has few slicers and a Matrix with 40+ columns. After selecting values from slicers, it automatically filters Matrix (and its columns) but still it may not fit in the explorer window. Also, Matrix has conditional formatting.

Now when user tries to export the report it has following possibilities -

1. Export to Excel - Problem: conditional formatting cannot be exported
    2. Export to PDF - Problem: it just paste image so scrolling to all columns is not possible.

So, we are looking for a way for users to filter report to data/visuals where they want others attention and share the URL with others.
    When they share this URL, it should retain the filters/slicers value and shall not reset it to default filters.

Since we have Power BI app when user shares link it doesn't modify the link if he changed the slicer values.

With Power BI app I don't see any option to 'Share' report with option 'Share report with current filters and slicers'.

This is causing a big problem as users not able to share specific data where they want audience attention.
    Request quick help on this.

------------------------------
    Gaurav

• 2.  RE: Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi Gaurav,
    One option would be the Comments feature built into Power BI, which allows you to not only mention someone so that they are notified, but can capture the exact report state including not only the filters/slicer state, but even any highlighting (notice Europe below) or spotlighting specific visuals.  If you really need a URL to copy, it is technically possible to construct a hyperlink with those values embedded in the URL; however, that would mean the unselected options would no longer be present in the slicer (let me know if you would like more detail on this option).

Jared Brown
    Vice President, Data and Analytics
    Tallan
    Glastonbury CT
    860-368-3079

• 3.  RE: Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Posted 20 days ago
    One more option would be to use the Subscribe option and either add them to the distribution or forward them the email that comes in to your email.  You can see some screenshots of this below including the generated email.  Note that the link in the email will preserve the current state of the report if you check the box shown.

Jared Brown
    Tallan
    Glastonbury CT
    860-368-3079

• 4.  RE: Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Posted 20 days ago
    Last reply I promise, there is a great Guy in a Cube Video on how this is now possible using the Share feature (though not available in Apps).

Jared Brown
    Tallan
    Glastonbury CT
    860-368-3079

• 5.  RE: Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Bronze Contributor
    Posted 18 days ago
    @Jared Brown,

Many thanks for sharing options.

Chat: Users of this report wants to share this report with their audience and audience could be 1 user or many many users. So, in case there are many users it may be difficult to add many names. But if there URL cannot be constructed then I would use this option.

You mentioned that technically it is possible to construct a custom URL with filters. Could you please share more details on this. This will be best approach for us.
    If you really need a URL to copy, it is technically possible to construct a hyperlink with those values embedded in the URL; however, that would mean the unselected options would no longer be present in the slicer (let me know if you would like more detail on this option).

Again many thanks for sharing possible solutions.

Thanks

Gaurav

• 6.  RE: Share Power BI app retaining values of filters/slicers

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Gaurav,
    I have included a very simple example of how you can generated a report URL using a Measure based on what values is selected, and then how to present that on the report page for people to navigate to and copy.  This example only includes one simple filter, though it is possible to create more complex implementations.  I would warn you however, once that filter is in the URL it may be confusing to end users as to why some of the other data elements are not showing up.

You can find more information on URL filters on this page: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters

Jared Brown
    Tallan
    Glastonbury CT
    860-368-3079