Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Slicer Help *file attached

Bronze Contributor
    Posted Oct 20, 2022 11:03 AM
      |   view attached

Problem Statement:

Is there a way to filter a dashboard by the 5 sites that opened before or after the selection in the Site slicer?

What possible ways could there be to do this? Another slicer would be ideal.

------------------------------
    Beau A
    Analyst
    MI

Attachment(s)

pbix
    Test-Dashboard.pbix   45 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Slicer Help *file attached

Bronze Contributor
    Posted Oct 21, 2022 03:26 PM
      |   view attached
    Here is my attempt at a solution

I added a new table with just a list of the sites without a connection to the rest of the model and used the column of this table in the slicer:

Then I created a measure that ranks the sites by opening date relative to the selected site in both directions. If a single site is not selected it just returns 1:
    Filter = 
    VAR SelectedSite =
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Site List'[Site] )
    VAR RankSelectedSite =
        CALCULATE (
            RANKX ( ALL ( dim_site ), CALCULATE ( SELECTEDVALUE ( dim_site[opendate] ) ) ),
            REMOVEFILTERS ( dim_site ),
            TREATAS ( { SelectedSite }, dim_site[Site] )
        )
    VAR RankCurrentSite =
        RANKX ( ALL ( dim_site ), CALCULATE ( SELECTEDVALUE ( dim_site[opendate] ) ) )
    VAR Result =
        IF ( ISBLANK ( SelectedSite ), 1, ABS ( RankCurrentSite - RankSelectedSite ) )
    RETURN
        Result​
    Finally, I used the measure as a filter on the table visual with the condition that the value should be between 1 and 5. Since the selected site will have rank 0, it will not be included. Of course, in case of ties you might get more than five sites on either side of the selected site with this method:

Tomas

Attachment(s)

pbix
    Test-Dashboard.pbix   48 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Slicer Help *file attached

Posted Oct 25, 2022 09:32 PM
      |   view attached
    Outra opção em anexo

Vilmar Santos

Attachment(s)

pbix
    Test-Dashboard.pbix   51 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Slicer Help *file attached

Posted Oct 31, 2022 08:40 PM
      |   view attached

@Beau A,

I think that the solution that @Tomas Torp came up with is much nicer, but I wanted to give you another alternative.  This one is a little bit more brute force.

I took your dataset, and I deleted the relationship between the dim_site table and the data table.  Then I created a calculated column in the data table that essentially gets the related date from dim_site, like so:

Open Date = 
    VAR thisSite = data[siteid]
    VAR filteredSites = FILTER(dim_site, dim_site[id] = thisSite)
    RETURN
        MAXX(filteredSites, dim_site[opendate])

Next, in the dim_site table I created 10 calculated columns.  5 columns for the 5 sites with an open date before the current site, and 5 columns for the 5 sites with an open date after the current site.  Here is the formula for one of those columns, as an example:

thirdBefore = 
    VAR thisSite = dim_site[id]
    VAR thisDate = dim_site[opendate]
    VAR firstBefore = dim_site[firstBefore]
    VAR secondBefore = dim_site[secondBefore]
    VAR filteredData = 
        FILTER(
            dim_site, 
            dim_site[id] <> thisSite && dim_site[opendate] <= thisDate && dim_site[id] <> firstBefore && dim_site[id] <> secondBefore
        )
    VAR result = 
    MAXX(
        TOPN(
            ADDCOLUMNS(
                filteredData,
                "DimSiteId", dim_site[id],
                "@Days Before", 
                SWITCH(
                    TRUE(),
                    thisDate > dim_site[opendate], DATEDIFF(dim_site[opendate], thisDate, DAY),
                    DATEDIFF(thisDate, dim_site[opendate], DAY)
                )
            ),
            [@Days Before],
            ASC
        ),
        dim_site[id]
    )
    RETURN
        result

Last, I created a measure called "ShowItem" that will result in true if a given row in the data table should be shown in our table visual.  The formula for this measure looks like this:

ShowItem = 
        IF(
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[id]) || 
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[firstBefore]) || MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[firstAfter]) ||
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[secondBefore]) || MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[secondAfter]) ||
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[thirdBefore]) || MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[thirdAfter]) ||
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[fourthBefore]) || MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[fourthAfter]) ||
            MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[fifthBefore]) || MAX(data[siteid]) = MAX(dim_site[fifthAfter])
            , 1, 0)

And I changed the "Site Review" table visual so that it only uses columns from the data table, and result looks like this:

The file with this approach is attached here as well.
    I hope you find this helpful.
    Kaz.

Kaz Shakir
    Sr. Program Manager, Asset Planning
    TN

Attachment(s)

pbix
    Test-Dashboard_r3.pbix   64 KB 1 version