Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Special filtering functionality required

Bronze Contributor
    Posted May 26, 2022 10:26 AM
    I'm trying to replicate some Spotfire functionality, but it is proving tricky.

Two visualisations : a chart  and a table, both using the same data.  What I want is that by default, with nothing selected in the chart, the table is empty.  On selecting something, the details appear in the table.  Here's the catch - I don't want data to appear if the users change a filter before selecting data points on the chart.

I've found a partial solution using a an overlaid card visusalisation, with conditional colour/transparency, depending on the results of the ISFILTERED() function.  However, when viewed in the web service, changing a filter triggers the display of data.

TIA,
         Jim

------------------------------
    James Watts
    Business Intelligence Analyst

• 2.  RE: Special filtering functionality required

Posted May 31, 2022 03:00 AM
    HI
    By default a chart is selected/active thus a table/card show its value
    How can you make chart no active/selected

Dili Timor

• 3.  RE: Special filtering functionality required

Bronze Contributor
    Posted May 31, 2022 05:55 AM
    I've managed to get something acceptable to the users working.
    Create a measure that checks if data on the chart has been selected, e.g.
       SelectionCheck = ISFILTERED('Table'[Site])
    Create a measure that modified text to be displayed based on this, but nothing when something is selected:
       SelectionText = IF([SelectionCheck],"","Please select data on the chart to see details")
    Then add a measure that sets the background colour for a Card visualisation:
      SelectionColour = IF([SelectionCheck], "#FFFFFF00","White")
    Finally, add a Card visualisation to display [SelectionText], with its background colour set as the value of [SelectionColour].  Size it to cover the details table, but make sure the visualisation does not cover any scroll bars.

When nothing is selected, the Card shows black text on a white background.  When something is selected, it shows a blank value but with a transparent background - that's what the '00' at the end of the colour text provides.  This makes it transparent, so you can see the table behind it.

By using a column in [SelectionCheck] that is in the charts but not in the filters, it is only when data is selected in the charts that it appears in the table at the bottom.

James Watts

• 4.  RE: Special filtering functionality required

Bronze Contributor
    Posted May 31, 2022 05:58 AM
    Based it on this :
    Show or Hide a Power BI Visual Based on Selection ✅ - Excelerator BI

James Watts

• 5.  RE: Special filtering functionality required

Posted May 31, 2022 06:56 AM
    Hi James,

It is very cleaver, thank you for your explanation.
    I will try it.

Dili Timor