Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Static Row Headers with calculated row values

Posted 24 days ago

Hello, newer user ro power bi desktop coming from Qlik Sense.  In Qlik I was able to create a table with what I call static row headers and a row of calcualted fields.  Here is what I am trying to accomplish, this is just a made up sample visual table.

Current Year     Prior Year     Year Over Year Change

Returns                                50                 40                              10

Sales                                   125               105                             20 

Shipped                                45                 30                              15                   

The first column Returns, Sales, and Shipped are static values that just describe the row of data.  The other 3 columns are calculated values. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Mike McLean

• 2.  RE: Static Row Headers with calculated row values

Posted 23 days ago
    Hi Mike,
    Instead of the Table visual, you should be able to use the Matrix visual, which is similar to an Excel PivotTable.  Then rather than including specific Columns you can add multiple measures in the Values area.  See the included picture.  Note: While not shown in my example, you would want to use a Date dimension for your time-intelligence calculations.

Jared Brown
    Vice President, Data and Analytics
    Tallan
    Glastonbury CT
    860-368-3079

• 3.  RE: Static Row Headers with calculated row values

Posted 23 days ago
    The problem in matrix is repeated values in row is missing otherwise this matrix can be used several things

Regards
    Kumar 

• 4.  RE: Static Row Headers with calculated row values

Posted 22 days ago
    Hi Mike,

Hard to say if we can't see INPUT, only desired output.
    1. for me 'Returns', 'Sales' and 'Shipped' should be MEASURES.
    2. all columns with time intelligence (including these not presented like - Current month, Current week, Last Monday, Previous quarter and all you can name) you can create as separate measures or use eg. Tabular editor.

Regards,

Adam Artur Boltryk
    Business Analyst

• 5.  RE: Static Row Headers with calculated row values

Posted 22 days ago
    Great point Adam, I hadn't noticed that the rows were not categories, but a second set of measures.  There are certainly several options to support two dynamic dimensions, and the use of Tabular Editor and Calculation Groups is probably the most elegant but does require the use of that third-party tool (definitely widely used and trusted).

If you are trying to keep thing a little more simple (and I use that term loosely), one other option would be to create a separate table, commonly referred to as a disconnected slicer, to define the intersection of the separate concerns, the business measures (i.e. Sales, Revenue, ...) and time-intelligence measures (Current Year, Prior Year, ...).  Power BI is starting to create wizards to support capabilities such as this, but it helps to understand what it is effectively doing behind the scenes.

What I have done here is a two step process, the first defines a table with the combinations of the two concerns you are looking to present, and the second associates a specific measure to use for each intersection.

Step 1:
    Use the "New Table" feature and shown DAX to create a separate configuration table, where each Key represents a unique intersection of the two dimensions.  This could also be created in Power Query but this achieves the same result.

Step 2:
    Add a DAX measure (called "Selected Measure" here) that depending on which combinations of the two separate dimension is selected, dictates which other measure or calculations to display (and how to format it).

Finally, you just need to add the two concerns as the Rows and Columns in the Matrix visual and the "Selected Measure" measure in the Values field.

I have included the DAX below for reference:

Measurement Configuration = DATATABLE(
        "Measurement Key", INTEGER,
        "Measurement Name", STRING,
        "Measurement Name Order", INTEGER,
        "Measurement Type", STRING,
        "Measurement Type Order", INTEGER,
        {
            {1, "Sales",   1, "Current Year", 1},
            {2, "Sales",   1, "Prior Year",   2},
            {3, "Sales",   1, "Change",       3},
            {4, "Revenue", 2, "Current Year", 1},
            {5, "Revenue", 2, "Prior Year",   2},
            {6, "Revenue", 2, "Change",       3},
            {7, "Shipped", 3, "Current Year", 1},
            {8, "Shipped", 3, "Prior Year",   2},
            {9, "Shipped", 3, "Change",       3}
        }
    )

Selected Measure = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Measurement Configuration'[Measurement Key]), 
    1, FORMAT([$ Current Year Sales], "$ #,##0"),
    2, FORMAT([$ Prior Year Sales], "$ #,##0"),
    3, FORMAT([$ Current Year Sales] - [$ Prior Year Sales], "$ #,##0"),
    4, FORMAT([$ Current Year Revenue], "$ #,##0"),
    5, FORMAT([$ Prior Year Revenue], "$ #,##0"),
    6, FORMAT([$ Current Year Revenue] - [$ Prior Year Revenue], "$ #,##0"),
    7, FORMAT([# Current Year Units], "#"),
    8, FORMAT([# Prior Year Units], "#"),
    9, FORMAT([# Current Year Units] - [# Prior Year Units], "#"),
    BLANK())

Jared Brown