Power BI Exchange

Please login or click SIGN UP FOR FREE to create your PowerBIUG account to join this user group.
 View Only
  • 1.  Trick or treat - Which visual would you use?

Posted 30 days ago
    Hi guys, I would like to pick your brain on the following doubt I am having. To provide more background and to make it more fun, I invented this simplified use case: in my hometown we like trick or treat so much that we run it for the entire year, kids can always visit a house and receive treats. There are only a few rules which must be obeyed:

1. Each house cannot give more than 800 treats a year
    2. Each kid cannot receive more than 10 treats in a single visit and
    3. Each kid cannot receive more than 20 treats per month
    I was asked to build a dashboard so that, at the end of the year, we can look back and identify if all houses and all kids followed the rules. I came up with the attached pbix but I am not yet convinced, in particular: I believe rule #1 is well covered by the bar chart by house on the left; I used a scatter plot for rule #2 but if multiple kids are in the same spot this is not visible; the right hand side bar chart by month is to address rule #3, however the user should first select a kid in the scatter plot.

Overall I am not satisfied by this design hence my question: which visuals would you have used to tackle this? do you have any further recommendation?

Many thanks in advance!

​​

------------------------------
    Emanuele Ruggiero

• 2.  RE: Trick or treat - Which visual would you use?

Posted 29 days ago
    This is a pretty cool concept. If you have the addresses of the houses that participate, you could add a map where you have # Treats by House_ID. You could have the bubble sizer represent the number of treats given out and even have it change colors when they hit the 800 treat limit. I personally like the scatter plot for rule 2. I agree there is a lot of overlap, but it's a great way to look at three variables spread over a large number of kids. ​

Calen Butler
    Director of FP&A
    Garner Foods
    Winston-Salem NC